Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering
Date: 2022-03-02 14:29:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02.03.22 05:47, Peter Smith wrote:
> This patch introduces a new "Filtering" page to give a common place
> where all kinds of logical replication filtering can be described.
> (e.g. It is envisaged that a "Column Filters" section can be added
> sometime in the future).

The pending feature to select a subset of table columns to replicate is
not "column filtering". The thread might still be still called that,
but we have changed the patch to not use that terminology.

Filtering is a dynamic action based on actual values. The row filtering
feature does that. The column list feature is a static DDL-time
configuration. It is no more filtering than specifying a list of tables
in a publication is table filtering.

So please consider organizing the documentation differently to not
create this confusion.