Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: workaround for buggy strtod is not necessary
Date: 2006-10-04 09:16:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Solaris had broken strtod function when parse "Inf" and "Nan". See
>> solaris.h. This bug has been fixed for all current versions of Solaris (
>> 8, 9, 10). See
>>
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-108993-62-1&searchclause=108993-62
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-112874-34-1&searchclause=112874-34
>>

>> Workaround is not necessary now, but I'm not sure if workaround removing
>> is good idea. There are some possible variants:
>>

>> 1) keep workaround in the code for compatibility with unpatched system
>> and adjust comment in solaris.h
>>
>> 2) remove workaround and mention required Solaris patch in the
>> Solaris.FAQ document
>>
>> 3) add some test into configure script and use workaround only on
>> unpatched system. (It should be nightmare for packagers)
>
> #1. What do you want to change about the existing comment?
>
> /*
> * Many versions of Solaris have broken strtod() --- see bug #4751182.
> * For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not worth
> * the trouble to add a configure test for this.
> */

/* Many versions of Solaris had broken strtod() -- see bug #4751182.
Now, it is fixed in recent versions of Solaris (8 and above -- see patch
108993-62 and 112874-34). However, there should be many unpatched
system. For the moment we just assume they all do; it's probably not
worth the trouble to add a configure test for this. */

It is only update that it is fixed and why workaround is not removed.

Zdenek