Testing / debuging data import

From: Brendon Gleeson <brendon(at)gleesonprop(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Testing / debuging data import
Date: 2006-10-04 07:03:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I am in the process of migrating all my data from MySQL to Postgres.

I am getting errors during the data import (non critical), my data is
ending up a couple of rows short. This is probably to be expected
considering that MySQL doesn't have much respect for data type constaints.

Basically what I want to do is simulate a data import (from a file with
full insert statements and no table creation), I want the offending
record/line to be printed to stdout with a verbose / helpful error.

I would preferbly like to use psql from the command line, eg:
$ psql [OPTIONS] < data.sql