Re: libedit broke in head

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libedit broke in head
Date: 2006-10-01 02:17:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the switches are confusing ... when you are using libedit, you
>> certainly don't want readline as well, so it seems natural to disable
>> it. I understand that what --without-readline really does is turn the
>> line-editing capability off in general rather than just readline, which
>> is confusing.

Just to verify. With removing the second switch, were good. It tested
and ran clean.

> The documentation could be improved perhaps:
>
> $ ./configure --help | grep -i edit
> --with-libedit-preferred prefer BSD Libedit over GNU Readline
> --without-readline do not use GNU Readline / BSD Libedit line editing
> $
>
> ISTM the second line would be clearer if it read
>
> --without-readline do not use GNU Readline nor BSD Libedit for editing
>
> Also, we probably ought to see if we can make the libedit-preferred line
> come out second.

I really don't get the libedit-preferred syntax? Why not just:

--with-libedit use BSD Libedit not GNU Readline
--with-readline use GNU Readline not BSD Libedit
--without-readline do not use GNU Readline nor BSD Libedit

Of course --without-readline is really a misnomer too. But
--without-edit doesn't sound right.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/