Re: autovacuum ignore tables

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Sriram Dandapani <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum ignore tables
Date: 2006-09-29 04:22:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Sriram Dandapani wrote:

> If I were to specify in the pg_autovacuum catalog that certain high
> volume partitioned tables(that get dropped daily) be ignored, then
> when autovacuum finishes, will it update the transaction id wraparound
> counter (this way, I can get autovacuum to finish quickly )
>
> OR
>
> Will I still need to periodically do vacuumdb –a to take care of the
> wraparound problem.

You don't need to do a manual vacuumdb -a since autovacuum will do this
once it decides you are getting too close to the wraparound point. I
believe this has been improved in the upcoming 8.2 release where
autovacuum no longer need to vacuum the whole database at once, rather
XID wraparound is now tracked on a per table basis.