PGDG ODBC, ODBCng, DBD::Pg

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGDG ODBC, ODBCng, DBD::Pg
Date: 2006-09-28 22:25:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I was running some basic benchmarks in comparison of the three
aforementioned products. I thought I would drop a link here for people
to compare:

http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng/wiki/Performance

One thing of note that is very positive IMHO is that PGDG ODBC and
ODBCng both are showing that they can readily keep up with DBD::Pg in
terms of basic performance.

Oddly, the ODBCng buffering option doesn't seem to offer as much benefit
as we thought it would but I need to test that with larger (wider) data
sets.

The versions tested were:

PGDG: 08.01.0200-2
ODBCng: Rev 76
DBD::Pg: 1.49

The machine was:

AMD X2 3800
2 Gig of Ram
PostgreSQL 8.1.4

Each test is ran in isolation, meaning that we create our connection,
run our cleanup, run our test and then disconnect. For each test, thus
no caching is occurring from PostgreSQL.

Anyway, these test clearly show that both ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL
have shown drastic improvement over the last 12 months.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/