Re: autovacuum on a -mostly- r/o table

From: Edoardo Ceccarelli <eddy(at)axa(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum on a -mostly- r/o table
Date: 2006-09-27 16:49:23
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 18:08 +0200, Edoardo Ceccarelli wrote:
>
>> I have read that autovacuum cannot check to see pg load before
>> launching
>> vacuum but is there any patch about it? that would sort out the
>> problem
>> in a good and simple way.
>>

> In some cases the solution to high load is to vacuum the tables being
> hit the heaviest -- meaning that simply checking machine load isn't
> enough to make that decision.
>
> In fact, that high load problem is exactly why autovacuum was created in
> the first place.

True,
but autovacuum could check load -before- and -during- it's execution and
it could adjust himself automatically to perform more or less
aggressively depending on the difference between those two values.
Maybe with a parameter like: maximum-autovacuum-load=0.2
that would mean: "never load the machine more than 20% for the autovacuum"

...another thing is, how could autovacuum check for machine load, this
is something I cannot imagine right now...