Re: pg_dump data in BKI format

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump data in BKI format
Date: 2006-09-25 19:55:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> I'm playing with catalog upgrade via BKI format. I enhanced the
> pg_dump of BKI output (not patch ready yet). I'm using it for some
> test now, but I think It should be useful for some one other, for
> example some application with embedded postgres should use own
> prepared BKI for database init (with small enhancement in bootstrap
> mode) and this option should help to prepare a BKI script from
> application template database.
>
> Let me know your meaning about integration this enhancement into the
> pg_dump.

I am not clear how this is an enhancement. The BKI file is a purely
internal bootstrap mechanism, and I do not see any good reason to make
pg_dump have any knowledge of it at all. pg_dump is already horribly
complex (of necessity, to some extent, because it has to embody
knowledge of previous releases). Anything that increases the complexity
is to be avoided.

In any case, surely the whole point about upgrading would be to do it
without bootstrapping a new location.

cheers

andrew