Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Stienstra <alex(dot)stienstra(at)zonnet(dot)nl>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null
Date: 2006-09-22 03:12:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Philip Yarra wrote:

> I don't know why it returns "" - perhaps someone else can answer that.
> Mind you, Oracle 10g does the same. Sybase ASE 12.5 is the only DB I
> have access to where I get a non-empty table name.

There was a long discussion about this some time ago, see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-08/msg00023.php or
thereabouts which is when we started agreeing on things :)

Essentially I think it boiled down to "getTableName() should return the
table alias name", and since we don't have that available we return "".
There's a postgresql-specific interface to get at the underlying table
name (in the cases where that info is available).

-O