Re: Replication and PITR

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Replication and PITR
Date: 2006-09-21 18:43:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Csaba Nagy wrote:
>>> Cons:
>>>
>> - No reliability. On slow days, WAL logs could take a long time to
>> rotate, so small but important transactions might not be replicated
>> for a long time.
>>

> That's gone with 8.2, it will be possible to stream the last
> modifications, or force a WAL recycle periodically, whatever fits you
> better. There is some new infrastructure which allows these things,
> although I didn't have the time to play with them.

Keep in mind that while Slony-I provides you with a read-only replica
(able to service queries). At present WAL log replication (in 8.2 or
otherwise) would allow you to have a 'warm standby' type database -
which would be somewhat in sync (pending the latest transactions), but
would be unable to service queries (essentially, you'd have a server
that was sitting with postmaster in a recovery state).

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc. - Expert PostgreSQL Training
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC 27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999
http://www.otg-nc.com