Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning

From: Cosimo Streppone <cosimo(at)streppone(dot)it>
To: Postgresql Performance List <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning
Date: 2006-09-20 09:09:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I was searching tips to speed up/reduce load on a Pg8 app.
Thank you for all your suggestions on the matter.
Thread is archived here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg18342.html

After intensive application profiling and database workload analysis,
I managed to reduce CPU load with application-level changes.

For database overload in presence of many concurrent
transactions, I found that just doing an "ANALYZE" on sensible
relations makes the situation better.

I scheduled a cron job every hour or so that runs an analyze on the
4/5 most intensive relations and sleeps 30 seconds between every
analyze.

This has optimized db response times when many clients run together.
I wanted to report this, maybe it can be helpful for others
out there... :-)

--
Cosimo