Re: bug with TextAsLongVarchar=0: output scrambled

From: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: me(at)alternize(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug with TextAsLongVarchar=0: output scrambled
Date: 2006-09-10 23:56:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

me(at)alternize(dot)com wrote:
> hi list
>
> a while ago i posted about a bug with unicode TEXT fields and pgODBC (see below). i now was able to get down to the problem.
>
> if you use TextAsLongVarchar=0 with the latest drivers, then the output from TEXT fields is scrambled.
> i was able to reproduce this by having a text-field with as low as ~500 chars of data. the output
contained
> invalid charcters at random positions - and as early as after the 240 character. the invalid
characters seem
> to be 0x00 or the like, which of course messes with the application.

There's no strangeness about it because you are telling the driver and the application that
your text fields have < 255 characters though your text fields have > 254 characters.
Anyway could you send me the Mylog output ?

> here's my full connection string:
> Driver={PostgreSQL UNICODE};Server=localhost;Port=5432;Database=mydb;UID=myuser;pwd=mypass;TrueIsMinus1=1;BoolsAsChar=0;TextAsLongVarchar=0;UseDeclareFetch=0
>
> when using TextAsLongVarchar=1, data is returned fine.
> unfortunately, some of our textfields are longer than longvarchars 8190 limit...

8190 is the limitation for ancient PG severs and isn't a driver's limitation at all.
You can increase the limit by changing the Max LongVarchar value.
However the tool or middleware you are using may have a limitation.

> when going back to driver 8.01.0102, TextAsLongVarchar=0 works perfectly.

I'm suspicious if the setting was ignored by the driver.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue