bug with TextAsLongVarchar=0: output scrambled

From: <me(at)alternize(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: bug with TextAsLongVarchar=0: output scrambled
Date: 2006-09-10 18:45:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc

hi list

a while ago i posted about a bug with unicode TEXT fields and pgODBC (see below). i now was able to get down to the problem.

if you use TextAsLongVarchar=0 with the latest drivers, then the output from TEXT fields is scrambled. i was able to reproduce this by having a text-field with as low as ~500 chars of data. the output contained invalid charcters at random positions - and as early as after the 240 character. the invalid characters seem to be 0x00 or the like, which of course messes with the application.

here's my full connection string:
Driver={PostgreSQL UNICODE};Server=localhost;Port=5432;Database=mydb;UID=myuser;pwd=mypass;TrueIsMinus1=1;BoolsAsChar=0;TextAsLongVarchar=0;UseDeclareFetch=0

when using TextAsLongVarchar=1, data is returned fine. unfortunately, some of our textfields are longer than longvarchars 8190 limit...
when going back to driver 8.01.0102, TextAsLongVarchar=0 works perfectly. the problem also exists in the latest driver release from august.

- thomas