Re: Schemas vs. PostQUEL: resolving qualified identifiers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schemas vs. PostQUEL: resolving qualified identifiers
Date: 2002-01-23 19:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Okay, but then how will you refer unambiguously to the rowtype object?

> What about casting with the keyord ROW?
> func(ROW table)
> always refers to the row-type of table "table" even if there is
> a column called "table".

Strikes me as gratuituously different from the way everything else is
done. We have .* and %ROWTYPE and so forth, and they're all suffixes.
The closest analogy to your ROW syntax is CAST, but it doesn't alter the
initial interpretation of its argument.

I was toying with the notion of inventing some new notation like
table.**
I don't like double-asterisk much, but maybe there's some other symbol
we could use here?