Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...
Date: 2006-09-04 07:35:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Matteo,

Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:

> A my collegue JDBC application that stay in "idle intransaction" 24h/24h

Just a little note: For most applications, this can be fixed updating
the JDBC driver. Old versions had the behaviour of auto-opening a new
backend transaction on commit/rollback, whereas new versions delay that
until the first statement in the new transaction is sent.

This won't fix applications that do a select and then sit idle for days
before committing/rolling back, however. Those should be fixed or use
autocommit mode.

> Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)
>
> Tom , can you explain why?...

It is because the transaction IDs are global per cluster.

Markus

Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS