Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-03 16:41:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org> writes:
>
>>> For example I have no expertise in coding on Postgres, but I think I
>>> would be able to collect information from this mailinglist (like specs,
>>> url's etc.) and put them in some issue tracker or wiki. I have done
>>> exactly the same for PHP [1] (though there are rarely specs thrown
>>> around in PHP, so my PHP todo list is not much more than a simple bullet
>>> list of todo's with a name and occasional URL's to additional information).
>>>

>> Actually I should add that I went ahead and created the PHP todo list on
>> my own, without any official blessing and one by one internals developer
>> have joined. Now its actively used in the entire release process.
>>

>> This is probably the best approach to go about doing this for PostgreSQL
>> as well.
>>

> I agree. Look at the most successful recent process change around here:
> the buildfarm. Andrew Dunstan took it upon himself to make that happen.
> He built it, and they came.

:-)

The difference is that the buildfarm could get going with effort only
from me and a handful of early adopters, while a tracker probably needs
higher level of initial community buyin. Nevertheless, I take your point.

> No bug/issue tracker, or anything else, is going to be successful unless
> somebody commits enough time to make it so. I've noted a whole lot of
> enthusiasm for having a tracker in these recent discussions, but a
> remarkable shortage of individuals stepping up to do the work.

You are right that it will need ongoing effort.

There are discussions happening about resources. Stay tuned.

cheers

andrew