Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bricklen Anderson <banderson(at)presinet(dot)com>
Cc: Anton de Wet <adw(at)obsidian(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date: 2006-09-01 16:45:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Training I agree with, but certifications can go either way. A good
> example of where certifications are generally NOT going to work in your
> favour is the fiasco that Oracle has created with their OCP
> certification over the past 6 or so years. So many people were pushed
> through these OCP mills that their certifications have become worthless.
> HR types were finding that these Oracle-certified dba/developers are of
> dubious quality at best -- even though they have a piece of paper
> stating that they are officially trained. I know that when we look at
> prospective employees, that designation is totally ignored. It is their
> experience and ability to do the job properly that count more than
> anything.

There are ways around that though. I don't know much about the OCP but I
know that the Cisco certs are *tough*.

Microsoft is another cert that is useless. They key is simple:

You should not be able to pass the test by reading an exam.

There needs to be things on the test that you *only* gain from real
world experience.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/