Re: UTF8 Vs Latin9 and valid encoding.

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 Vs Latin9 and valid encoding.
Date: 2006-08-30 08:26:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi, Marcelo,

Marcelo . wrote:

> I receive the error msg:
> ERROR: invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte
> 0xf1
>
> Isn't UTF-8 the same as UNICODE where it encapsulates
> all other coding schemes including latin9?

Yes, it is.

But it seems that your client and the server disagree on the encoding
they use.

I think the problem is that your client (psql, I presume) uses latin9 to
communicate with the server, but the server assumes the client uses utf8.

in psql, you can use \encoding to show the encoding psql uses, and "show
client_encoding;" to show the encoding the server thinks the client uses.

Try one of:

SET client_encoding TO LATIN9; -- Tell server: client uses latin9

\encoding LATIN9; -- Set clients encoding

You can also set UTF-8 here, the server will convert between the client
and database encoding (but it needs to know).

HTH,
Markus

Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS