Re: Postgresql mentioned on Newsforge MySQL article

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql mentioned on Newsforge MySQL article
Date: 2006-08-29 07:11:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Was this all the same basic task implemented by different teams then?

Yep.

> Can we see the code? hack it? I'm sure someone here could help out.

Sure.

> I don't care about the contest, but it would be nice to be able to put
> out a version that could compete with MySQL's.

Sure. The main db-contest site of the magazine is [1], but it's all
german. You'lll find an english translation of the original article,
describing the problem to solve in [2].

The contest entries are downloadable on [3]. Mine is the 'bluegap' one.
If you want to hack together a high-performance solution based on
PostgreSQL I'd start with Alvar C.H. Freude's disqualified entry.

Happy hacking

Markus

[1]: http://www.heise.de/ct/dbcontest/
[2]: http://firebird.sourceforge.net/connect/ct-dbContest.html