Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init
Date: 2006-08-26 23:27:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 01:32:17PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I am not exactly sure why we initdb at all. IMHO it would be better if
>> the start script just checked if there was a cluster. If not, it
>> wouldn't start, it would error with: You do not have a cluster, please
>> read man page on initdb.
>
> As Tom mentioned, it's for newbie-friendliness. While I can understand
> that, I think it needs to be easy to shut that off.

I understand that, but it seems the whole problem of people overwriting
there data dir is because we initdb from the start script. If we
installed the datadir during the RPM install, it would still be newbie
friendly and would removed initdb from start script solving that problem.

The only downside is larger disk foot-print for something that a user
may never use. Given the size of todays hard drives, and the size of a
standard RedHat install, I don't think that is much of an issue.