Re: ISBN/ISSN/ISMN/EAN13 module

From: mdean <mdean(at)xn1(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Kronuz <kronuz(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISBN/ISSN/ISMN/EAN13 module
Date: 2006-08-22 00:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeremy Kronuz wrote:

> I suppose having it to replace the current contrib/isbn would be a
> good option, this 13 digits ISBN will be the standard by 2007, and
> some publishers are already issuing 13 digit ISBN numbers since last year.
>
> The module I created uses int64 instead of strings, for the numbers,
> and thus the performance might be better too, though I haven't tested
> for speed.
> Please, let me know if it will be included as a contrib, as I have
> updated the ISBN range numbers to include the most recent ones.

I do hope that your algorithm for generating 13 digits from 10 has been
validated with isbn.org, since all the check digits will change. I
believe it is crucial for postgresql to generate isbn codes in both 10
and 13 digits, and in the two separate ways required of publishers on
their bar codes, with just the 10 digit input. This is just a special
case for the overall classification system, so the initial 3 digit code
for book publishers should not be hard wired. (I know, as very
competent engineers you have thought of all this, I am just being
obsessive.)

Incidentally, we are looking to publish manuscripts across a widerange
of subject areas, so if anyone has anything not committed to the "big
names" let me know. We are not a vanity publisher and our cotract
provides for 20 percent royalties. We publish under the Cretive Commons
License. Our newest book "Chess for Bright Children of any age" is
forthcoming. We got the idea for the title from the New Testament.
MIchael