Re: Autovacuum on by default?

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum on by default?
Date: 2006-08-17 17:29:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Is it time to turn on autovacuum by default in 8.2? I know we wanted
>> to be on the side of caution with 8.1, but perhaps we should evaluate
>> the experiences now. Comments?
>
> I'm in favor of this, but do we want to turn on vacuum_delay by default
> as well?

I thought about this, might be a good idea as it will mitigate the
impact of vacuums, however it will also slow down vacuums, I'm a bit
concerned that it won't be able to keep up on really large database, or
that it'll fall really far behind after vacuuming a big table.

Also, if we do enable it, what is a good default?