Re: 3-table query optimization

From: Michal Taborsky - Internet Mall <michal(dot)taborsky(at)mall(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 3-table query optimization
Date: 2006-08-10 07:30:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Michal Taborsky - Internet Mall <michal(dot)taborsky(at)mall(dot)cz> writes:
>> SELECT product.product_id
>> FROM action
>> JOIN product ON (product.product_id=action.product_id)
>> WHERE action.shop_group_id=1
>> AND EXISTS (SELECT 1
>> FROM catalog.product_program
>> WHERE product_id=product.product_id
>> AND product_program.program_id =1104322
>> )
>
> Try converting the EXISTS subquery to an IN.

The performance is roughly the same. For some groups it's better, for
some groups, the bigger ones, it's a bit worse. I forgot to mention,
that the server is running 8.0.2. Upgrading would be a bit painful, as
it is a 24/7 production system, but if it would help significantly, we'd
give it a go.

--
Michal Táborský