Re: Importance of re-index

From: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Importance of re-index
Date: 2006-08-10 06:57:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Disagree.

We only apply reindex on tables that see lots of updates...

With our 7.4.x databases we vacuum each day, but we see real performance
gains after re-indexing too - we see lower load averages and no decrease
in responsiveness over time. Plus we have the benefit of reduced disk
space usage.

I think that the two things go hand in hand, although vacuum is the most
important.

John