Re: standard interfaces for replication providers

From: alfranio correia junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: standard interfaces for replication providers
Date: 2006-08-08 18:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> I'm questioning if a replication system can be written by only using
> triggers as hooks. AFAIK Slony-I uses triggers, so you can probably
> better comment on problems or limitations using triggers. For me a
> shared library with some hooks as C function calls seems a more
> plausible approach.
Of course not...
It is impossible to build a replication system entirely by only using
triggers...
But definitely, there is a set of common requirements among a variety of
replication systems. Moreover, such requirements are also useful to
other systems as well.

Roughly, the GAPI reflects any event inside a database system and allows
any application to intercept and modify them.
For instance, an event might be:
1 - database shutdown, startup
2 - connection shutdown, startup
3 - statement reception
4 - parsing
5 - execution plan generation
6 - tuples written

Our current prototype covers some of them and some of them partially (2,6).
Besides, we also need the priority mechanism.

Best regards,

Alfranio Junior.