Re: 8.2 features status

From: Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 23:50:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:37:56PM -0700, Neil Conway wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 12:40 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>>> While I am not going to reopen the can of worms labeled 'bug
>>> tracker', I think it would be good to have a little more formality
>>> as far as claiming items goes.
>>> What say?
>> I think this is a good plan for adding additional process overhead,
>> and getting essentially nothing of value in return. I'm not
>> convinced there's a problem in need of solving here...
>
> Perhaps you'd like to explain how big a burden on the developer it is
> to send an once a week, that being what I'm proposing here.
>
> As far as the "problem in need of solving," it's what Andrew Dunstan
> referred to as "splendid isolation," which is another way of saying,
> "letting the thing you've taken on gather dust while people think
> you're working on it."

Well I guess the key thing is that its transparent who is working on
what feature and that someone (some projects have a new release manager
for every release) keeps tabs on these people (maybe once every few
weeks he asks how things are progressing, if the target can still be
made etc). Maybe this can even be enumerated into a percentage value
that can be published so that people who feel a given feature is very
important to them can see if things are lagging behind.

Actually the person keeping track of these feature developments does not
need to be a pgsql hacker. As a matter of fact I have been trying to do
something similar for the PHP project and I am more than willing to do
the same for PostgreSQL. I do not however think it makes sense to ask
developers to send in reports in a regular basis on their own.

regards,
Lukas