Re: How to increase performance?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Hristo Markov <hristomarkov(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to increase performance?
Date: 2006-07-31 09:23:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hristo Markov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Hristo Markov. I am software developer.
> I am developing software systems (with C/C++ program language) that work on Windows operation system and uses ODBC driver and ACCESS database. I want to change database with PostgreSQL.
> The systems working without problems with PostgreSQL and ODBC, but the performance and speed of updating and reading of data are very low.
> I run the test program working on one single computer under Windows XP operating system and working with equal data (I use around 10 tables at the same time). The difference is only databases and ODBC drivers.
>
> The results from speed and performance of the test program are:
> Around 10 seconds under Access database.
> Around 40 seconds under PostgreSQL database.
>
> Please help me to increase speed and performance of PostgreSQL.
> /I am freshman in PostgreSQL and I thing that may be must set some settings /

Are there specific queries you're having problems with? How many
transactions does this 40 seconds represent? What is the bottle-neck -
CPU/disk/memory?

You might find this a good place to start reading about configuration
settings, and then follow that with the manuals.
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd