Re: Main page: about us

From: Anastasios Hatzis <ahatzis(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Main page: about us
Date: 2006-07-29 14:46:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> IMHO, what we are should be on the main page, if not for 'real
>> visitors', but for search engines themselves ...
>
> That is what:
>
> <title></title>
> and
> <META NAME="keywords">
> <META NAME="description">
>
> Is for.

AFAIK search-engines actually don't care anymore for meta keywords and
meta description. The matching keywords have to be in the visible part
of the HTML document - else they are ignored. Plus ranking in
search-engines regarding a keyword like 'dbms' is more influenced if
found in pages on other sites that are linking to postgresql.org. So, if
anyone with a web-site or blog is setting a link to www.postgresql.org
inside his text, ex.

...blahblah and my favorite is the most advanced <a
href="http://www.postgresql.org">open-source DBMS PostgreSQL </a> ..blahblah

may result, that this link to pg site is connected and higher weighted
with the keywords 'open-source' and 'DBMS' and 'PostgreSQL' with-in the
link, and given enough people using these keywords in their links to pg
site will improve ranking much more than using the keywords only on pg
start page or outside the link.

However, search-engines' strategies are changing fast and it is hard for
site operators' to keep search-engine optimization up-to-date. I even
can't give guarantee that the information I provided here may not be
already out-dated.

Anastasios