Re: About Div

From: Ross Johnson <Ross(dot)Johnson(at)homemail(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About Div
Date: 2006-07-26 02:34:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Otniel Michael wrote:

> Mr. Aaron. I am sorry, your solution didn't match in my case.
> Example for your solution :
> A = 1
> B = 1
> C = 1
> D = 1
> E = 1
> F = 1
> G = 4
>
> G have 4 candy. Its too much for G.
>
> In my case, the solution is :
> A = 1
> B = 1
> C = 1
> D = 1
> E = 2
> F = 2
> G = 2
>
> The extra candy is given to three child.
>
> Do you have the other solution? I need function in postgresql for my case.
> Because my loop is too slow.

Would this achieve the result you're looking for, or must it be done
with a function?
Assuming you already know the value of totalchildren and totalcandy:

BEGIN
-- Everyone gets at least this number, which could be zero or more.
UPDATE X SET value = (totalcandy / totalchildren);
-- Hand the remainder out one at a time until all are gone.
UPDATE X SET value = (value + 1)
WHERE code = (SELECT code FROM X ORDER BY code DESC LIMIT (totalcandy
% totalchildren));
COMMIT

Ross