Re: On-disk bitmap index patch

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: On-disk bitmap index patch
Date: 2006-07-25 21:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc writes:
>> Reading 1/4, for a larger table, has a good chance of being faster than
>> reading 4/4 of the table. :-)
>
> Really?
>
> If you have to hit one tuple out of four, it's pretty much guaranteed
> that you will need to fetch every heap page.

I think it's not uncommon to have data that is more clustered than expected.

In my case it shows up often in GIS data; where often a query
that only accesses 1/4 of the rows in the table really will
only access about 1/4 of the pages in the table -- for example
when analyzing Texas or the Southwest US.