Re: Replication - super-draft

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication - super-draft
Date: 2006-07-25 11:33:44
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello Chris,

thank you for putting this together. It seems to be the replication
guide we are looking for: an overview over the principles and solutions
of replication for PostgreSQL. Good work!

Some suggestions I came up with when reading: when preparing my
presentation I came to the conclusion that first introducing 'single- vs
multi-master' before 'sync vs async' is easier. Especially because of
the 'after-commit-conflicting-transactions' problem that rises in async,
multi-master solutions, YMMV.

Being the Postgres-R (8) guy, I of course have some additions to that
paragraph: You mention Postgres-R being only usable on rather old
releases. Please also mention that I'm actively working on a production
grade Postgres-R for an up-to-date PostgreSQL version. There already is
a downloadable, working prototype.

Concerning Slony-II: AFAIK there is no mechanism to detect conflicts
earlier for normal transactions (maybe for DDL or TABLE LOCKS or
something, but mentioning that here is misleading). Such a distributed
locking mechanism would increase network traffic - and decrease total
performance.

Because Slony-II and Postgres-R are that similar, they also share the
'problems that emerged'. Because Slony-II and Postgres-R are coceptually
mostly identical, I'd propose to merge those two paragraphs. You might
want to add that both projects were created independently, but their
authors currently plan to join their work and efforts.

A nit-picking detail: I'm unsure about the correct english spelling of
single- and multi-master ('single master', 'single-master' or
'singlemaster'), but please make sure to use a consistent spelling.

Regrards

Markus