Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?

From: "Derek M(dot) Rodner" <derek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jussi Mikkola <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-24 22:30:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Newbie alert....

What if we tried to merge ALL of the different Postgres auxiliary
projects into a forge site like sugarforge.org?

For those of us that are "new", it seems illogical for projects to be
scattered all over the place... I am not implying that they should be
part of the physical Postgres package, but co-location of all of these
tools makes them more accessible and gives "one-stop shopping" for those
who are Postgres users....

If we could get the resources to create a repository like SugarForge it
would also have many indirect benefits:
1. A single repository for everyone to go consolidates many varied
projects and might reduce redundancy
2. Let's outsiders see just how big the Postgres community really is
3. Might entice others to get involved
4. Raises the Postgres profile in the market
5. Gives a more "professional" face to Postgres which it needs to jump
to the next level

Now, I understand the efforts involved in this, but I wanted to at least
plant the seed.

Derek

Derek M. Rodner
Director, Marketing