Re: [pgsql-www] Time to scale up?

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume_ml(at)smet(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-24 18:35:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Hi all,

FWIW, I didn't think myself pgFoundry was the official home for
PostgreSQL related projects before I began to follow PostgreSQL development.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Odd, do you want to have a quick peak to see what I'm missing?
> UseCanonicalName is turned Off, but if you go to
> projects.postgresql.org, it is being redirected to pgfoundry.org,
> instead of serving up pages ... might be something internal to gforge
> though ...

Yes, the redirection is made by GForge ($sys_default_domain). You can
define a $sys_fallback_domain or we can even remove the redirect
directly in the code if needed.
The problem is that in emails generated by GForge or when GForge uses
the complete url, it's the $sys_default_domain which is used.
And it's not a good idea to have two domains for one unique site.

> Be nice if both could work at the same time, so that all of the search
> engines still finds everything :(

This can be done easily via a rewrite rule. We can redirect any
pgfoundry link to his new whatever.postgresql.org without losing
anything (and a 301 redirect is better). It's quite simple and I can
provide the rules we usually use for that if needed.

I also really think we should have a more "postgresqlized" theme for
pgFoundry instead of the current one. I'm not a graphic designer but I
made several GForge themes for our customers and I know pretty well
GForge internals so I can help with this one if people think it's a good
idea and if someone volunteers for graphical work and ideas.

--
Guillaume