Re: Units in postgresql.conf

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Units in postgresql.conf
Date: 2006-07-20 22:16:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think it would be useful to allow units to be added to these settings, for
> example...
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> which is a bit cumbersome to calculate right now (you'd need = 65536).
>
> I haven't thought yet how to parse or implement this, but would people find
> this useful?

Would this extend to things like "random_page_cost" and similar?

If the random_page_cost were specifiable in seconds or ms it might be easier
to someday write a program to measure such values on particular hardware
platforms. (though I guess for that to work, the config file would also
need to add the reference cost (is it a non-random page access) as well...)