Re: monolithic distro

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: monolithic distro
Date: 2006-07-13 20:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> But, that isn't our role ... that should be the role of whomever takes
> on the role of 'maintainer' for such a monolithic distribution ... its
> no more our role to decide that pl/Java is better or worse then pl/J
> ... our role is to provide that core for everyone else to build around

Well, there is money around to sponsor development, and unless that is
going to be restricted to core only projects, just giving some
sponsorship involves making a choice.

Comparisons have been made with perl and CPAN, but modules are adopted
into the perl core distribution from time to time.

Frankly, people want advice about what is good from people who know.
Just saying "Oh, you're all too cute! I can't possibly decide!" might
help to keep a fragile peace, but I doubt it does anyone much good in
the long run. I'd rather trust the core developers than someone else
with possibly more of an axe to grind.

cheers

andrew