Re: monolithic distro

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: monolithic distro
Date: 2006-07-13 20:42:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> But, that isn't our role ... that should be the role of whomever takes
> on the role of 'maintainer' for such a monolithic distribution ... its
> no more our role to decide that pl/Java is better or worse then pl/J ...
> our role is to provide that core for everyone else to build around ...
>
> People like CommandPrompt, Bizgres, EnterpriseDB, Pervasive ... they
> have the funding to *create* and maintain that, to make sure all the
> parts they distribute are working properly ...
>
> The resources are there, if someone (you?) wants to do this as a FOSS
> project, but I fear that amount of work (both time and energy) required
> to make the 'include all, for all' distribution is much much greater
> then the returns will be ... the more you add in, the more you have to
> co-ordinate releases with the external projects, and pull/push old/new
> stuff in as it becomes 'stale', etc ...

Yeah, but if PostgreSQL decides to endorse one monolithic distro in the
way I described it could give that project hopefully the necessary lift.
And the ultimate goal is obviously that some of those newbies coming by
way of the monolithic distro turn into people that bring ressources to
the PostgreSQL platform/ecosystem.

regards,
Lukas