monolithic distro (was: Re: Fwd: Three weeks left until feature freeze)

From: Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: monolithic distro (was: Re: Fwd: Three weeks left until feature freeze)
Date: 2006-07-13 20:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Aside from obviously the big issue of who maintains all the pgfoundry
>> stuff, I also think that the PostgreSQL family would benefit from a
>> distribution that is more "and the kitchen sink" style. I do not know
>> exactly if Bizgres could be considered just that? Or maybe it could get
>> promoted to be that?
>
> Lukas, that is what www.mammothpostgresql.org is :)

Doh, yes .. totaly forgot about that one.

Again I think it makes absolute sense to have a nicely sized core for
all the friendly forks to base their work on. However I think all newbie
PR should be directed at the monolithic distro and not to that nicely
sized core.

Cluefull people that want to create their own PostgreSQL distro will
naturally gravitate to PostgreSQL, while newbies come to PostgreSQL
right now. They dont find the feature they are looking for, and we miss
out on getting them into PostgreSQL.

So what I am suggesting is that PostgreSQL.org should push people
towards the monolithic distro. The docs should contain everything that
is in the monolithic distro. At conference we should say the name of the
monolithic distro etc.

Again, the truely cluefull people will naturally gravitate to the
PostgreSQL core project while the monolithic distro sucks in the newbies.

regards,
Lukas