Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre
Date: 2006-07-13 06:58:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> Arguably,
> the 1996 decision to call it PostgreSQL instead of reverting to
> plain Postgres was the single worst mistake this project ever made.
> It seems far too late to change now, though.

How can it be too late? If Borland/Inprise/Borland can do it
and if AT&T/SBC/AT&T can do it, couldn't this project do it too?

I think most of us are all too familiar wasting time explaining
"Postgre S.Q.L." that most newbies assume. And it's hard to blame
them. Ask any kid learning to read how PostgreSQL is pronounced and
they won't group the "S" with the "gre" either. If we really want
people to pronounce it "post-gres-cue-ell" at least change the
capitalization to "PostgresQL".

But surely it'd be a better idea for everyone if for 8.2 or 9.0
or whatever if the project formally made Postgres not only an
acceptable but a preferred name for the project, wouldn't it?