Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-13 05:22:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, assume that FSF indeed did remove the exception. It would take me
> 30 minutes or so to create a substitute BSD licensed dummy JNI library
> with associated headers that would allow PL/Java to be built without any
> external modules at all. It's then completely up to the user what he/she
> wants to slot in as a replacement.

Do we want to do that? I mean (and I am not saying it is, I am asking)
is that a bit grey? I would prefer it be black and white.

Are their JVMs that are BSD compatible? It is my understanding that you
can ship Java (I could be completely on crack here) in a closed source
product without issue right?

If so... then wouldn't our argument be to strongly suggest that they use
the Sun JVM (or IBM if that is relevant?).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/