Re: timestamp with definable accuracy, was: Re: empty text

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp with definable accuracy, was: Re: empty text
Date: 2006-07-11 09:13:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Just for your information:
>
> In our Python implementation of a fuzzy timestamp type we
> used accuracy values ranging from 1 to 7 denoting the
> "precision" of a complete timestamp definition:
>
> 7 - full subsecond accuracy (7 "digits" precision)
> 6 - seconds
> 5 - minutes
> 4 - hours
> 3 - days
> 2 - months
> 1 - years

This is getting off topic, but let me add that IMO you chose the wrong
direction.
Your timestamps won't get any more accurate than seconds (your highest
value), but it could get less accurate. What are you going to use for
ranges larger than a year? 0? -1? -2? You locked yourself out...

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.