Re: postgresql live-cd

From: Robin Gareus <robin(at)gareus(dot)org>
To: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Koen Martens <pgsql(at)metro(dot)cx>, Stephen Slezak <sslezak(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql live-cd
Date: 2006-07-06 14:09:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi!

I've been working with Koen on the Knoppix based postgres live CD...
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, recent changes:

* procedual languages are installed into the template1 db.

* The pgfoundry example databases (paglia, world) were already
installed on last weeks iso. - now I added a unzipped version so that
a user low on RAM can read the .sql files without extracting them...)

* improved support for non X11 mode. (gpm, auto-start
doc.browser on tty1,..)

* many minor fixes (new splash screen, replacement for the low-res
pgadmin3 icon, updatedb, kde config,...)

stay tuned. I'm just uploading the new image.

Robert Bernier wrote:
> I'm announcing that I'm on the tailend of completing my own
> implementation of pg_live.

I'm still downloading it. so I can't comment on it, yet.

Reading 'tru the Ubuntu pg-live feature list. I find that it has about
the same Features as our knoppix pg-live but the Knoppix variant is
somewhat more lightweight:

- in runlevel 2 requires only 32 MB RAM
- and runlevel 5 (X+KDE) works from about 100 MB

- apache + pgphpadmin, sshd,... are installed but not started by
default. (there's even a start button in the KDE menu for 'em ;-)

- procedural lang support seems to be identical (perl,tcl,php,r,python)
and so are the various contrib packages (slony, tsearch2, pgpool,...)

> It's based on Ubuntu so it has full installation capabilities if
> the user wants it.
knoppix can install itself, too (create persistant disk-image Button in
the KDE menu) - I don't want to start an Ubuntu vs. Knoppix thread
now... but AFAICT the Knoppix autoconfiguration is suitable for more
Systems than Ubuntu...

> There's a lot of documentation that I've added in added to the
> standard reference documentation.

If your doc is not specific the ubuntu-live-cd it would be great if we
can include them.. - I'd also be interested in the slony example scripts
that you mention.

-robin