Re: suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 + PostgreSQL

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Kenji Morishige <kenjim(at)juniper(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: suggested RAID controller for FreeBSD 6.1 + PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-07-06 00:52:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kenji Morishige wrote:
> I am currently running FreeBSD 4.11 (due to IT requirements for now) and
> Adaptec's 2200S RAID controller running in RAID5. I was advised in the past
> that the 2200S is actually a poor performing controller and obviously the
> RAID5 is less than ideal for databases. I chose to run the controller in
> RAID5 as the tech I talked to suggested that the 2200S was primarily designed
> for RAID5 and it would operate the best that way. My server is a dual Xeon
> 3.06Ghz box running on a motherboard approximately 2-3 years old now. I'd
> like to know what an ideal RAID controller that would be compatible with
> FreeBSD 6.1 would be these days.

I've had good experience with 3Ware on FreeBSD - painless installs and
excellent performance! (in my case the older 7506 models for (P)ATA on
4.10, 5.4, 6.0 and 6.1).

It looks like the new 9550 series is supported in 6.1 onwards. Given
that this has been added recently I would suggest mailing
freebsd-hardware to see what experiences folks are having (I don't
recall seeing any postings about issues with the 9000 or 9550 series).

Cheers

Mark