Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: brent(dot)wilkins(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and success of OSS
Date: 2006-06-30 23:13:07
Lists: pgsql-www

Brent,

> I would also like
> any other data that you guys can supply me. One data set in
> particular would be a count of downloads.

Direct downloads for 2005 were 1.4 million.
For a list of the problems with this number as an indicator of any real
information at all, see:
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/the-count-of-downloadia-part-i-5621

Really everything that is
> available for Source Forge projects would be nice. I think that I can
> probably mine data on bugs from the mailing list, but is there any
> chance that there is a bug report database which I might be able to
> get data from?

You'd need to mine the archives of the pgsql-bugs list and weed out
irrelevant discussions, non-bugs, and duplicates. We've discussed
adopting a database-driven bug tracker, but so far the advantages don't
outweigh the burdens for a good number of our contributors.

--Josh Berkus