Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue

From: Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster(at)sebster(dot)com>
To: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limit vs setMaxRows issue
Date: 2006-06-22 20:14:12
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

We actually do use a part of hibernate (the dialects) with some custom
additions, especially for creating tables, indexes, etc. However, since
the user of the application creates the data model (and changes it
runtime), and since the user is actually working in a tables and
columns paradigm, we cannot really use the ORM or HQL parts of hibernate.

Anyway, apart from the joys (i.e. difficulties) in writing portable SQL
(oh what fun ;-)), I still think it would be a nice improvement to the
JDBC driver is setMaxRows did actually hard limit the number of returned
rows, considering it hardly make sense in this case for postgres to
prepare to return more rows than specified.

I'm willing to help or even code it if someone points me in the right
direction. The JDBC part should be easy; I'm not sure about the postgres
side, but I imagine it's not too difficult either. The hard part is
probably getting the protocol extended and getting people to agree that
it's a good idea to change the protocol, etc... ;-) (although it's a
pretty non-intrusive, backwards compatible change).

Regards,
Sebastiaan