Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chris Golden <cgolden(at)gcgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed
Date: 2006-06-20 14:46:28
Lists: pgsql-general

I would like to scan my database for new orders then do an HTTPS
> post to the provider. I would also like to periodically check for new
> orders/messages from the provider via an HTTPS post and bring them into
> my database (a constant exchange of information). I am wondering if
> something like PHP would be a universal solution, or something similar?

Well honestly, you have just opened a huge thread because everyone is
going to post an opinion on this. So let me be first :)

I would suggest Python. It has excellent XML parsing capabilities, is an
easy language to learn and is widely used.

PHP is common to use but I find that the better you get at development
the more frustrating PHP becomes.

Other suitable languages are Perl, Ruby and Java. I would stay away from
Java due to complexity and overhead. Perl is a mature but potentially
difficult language to those new to the environment. Ruby is just Perl
with a cleaner overall design.

All have their strengths and weaknesses. You should really use whatever
makes you comfortable.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

http://www.commandprompt.com/