Re: Database Clustering on multiple harddisk

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Clustering on multiple harddisk
Date: 2006-06-20 07:08:33
Lists: pgsql-general

arie nugraha wrote:
> Thanks a Alex,
>
> But can tou give a bit explanation about multiple separate tablespace
> and HBA,
> or is there any resources, tutorial on how to use this features on
> postgresql

An HBA is a physical card. Think of it as an "optical SCSI card".
Thus, there won't be any PostgreSQL docs for it.

Tablespaces let you specify what directory you want to put an object
in. This is useful for large systems with multiple RAID sets on
different SCSI busses. It's also useful for smaller systems where
you want named subdirectories for different groups of data.

> Thanks a lot
>

> Alex Turner wrote:
>> I think you may be a little confused...
>>
>> Last time I checked, Oracle RAC doesn't actualy support
clustering the
>> I/O, it's one Database backend with multiple instances on the
>> front-end, which is only clustering the CPU bound part (it's
>> also VERY expensive).
>>
>> If by clustering you mean multiple seperate tablespaces, then
>> Postgresql does support them.
>>
>> If you mean RAID, then that is implemented by the HBA (host bus
>> adapter), and is transparent to Postgresql.
>>
>> If you are looking for replication, many people find Slony a
>> good
add-on.

>> Alex
>>
>> On 6/20/06, *Arie Nugraha* <dicarve(at)gmail(dot)com
>> <mailto:dicarve(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am new postgresql user and i had read the documentation but
>> i dont if PostgreSQL support database clustering on multiple harddisk
>> (multiple I/O, just like DB2 and Oracle does)
>> or not.
>>
>> If postgreSQL support the database clustering is there any
>> documentation or tutorial that explain how to do it?
>>
>> Thanks all.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA