Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement
Date: 2006-06-16 16:12:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, based on reports I have seen, generally stats_query_string adds 50%
> to the total runtime of a "SELECT 1" query, and the patch reduces the
> overhead to 25%.

that is actually not true for both of the platforms(a slow OpenBSD
3.9/x86 and a very fast Linux/x86_64) I tested on. Both of them show
virtually no improvement with the patch and even worst it causes
considerable (negative) variance on at least the Linux box.

> However, that 25% is still much too large. Consider that "SELECT 1" has
> to travel from psql to the server, go through the
> parser/optimizer/executor, and then return, it is clearly wrong that the
> stats_query_string performance hit should be measurable.
>
> I am actually surprised that so few people in the community are
> concerned about this. While we have lots of people studying large
> queries, these small queries should also get attention from a
> performance perspective.
>
> I have created a new test that also turns off writing of the stats file.
> This will not pass regression tests, but it will show the stats write
> overhead.

will try to run those too in a few.

Stefan