Re: plpgsql keywords are hidden reserved words

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql keywords are hidden reserved words
Date: 2007-11-05 17:58:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 5, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> I don't see any fix for this that's reasonable to try to shoehorn
> into 8.3, but I think we really need to revisit the whole area of
> plpgsql variable substitution during 8.4. We could make this problem
> go away if variable substitution happened through a parser callback
> instead of before parsing.

Is there any feasibility to the idea of allowing pl/pgsql variables
and parameters to be prefixed with a special character like '$'? I'm
constantly adding prefixes like 'v_' because of conflicts with table
or column names. It would be nice to have something like "declare
$myvar integer;" so it would be very easy to distinguish variable and
parameter names from structure names or reserved words.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.