Re: Bug #656: timestamp function generates parsing errors when used as specified in the documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brong(at)h-r-s(dot)com, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #656: timestamp function generates parsing errors when used as specified in the documentation
Date: 2002-05-03 05:38:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> See the following session examples using the form given in the documentation. 'select timestamp(now());' fails similarly.

I'm afraid you've got bit by our continuing pursuit of SQL standard
compliance. The 7.2 release notes do point out:

Observe the following incompatibilities:
* The timestamp() function is no longer available. Use timestamp 'string' instead, or CAST.

but I notice that the last two examples in Table 4-17 "Date/Time Functions"
didn't get fixed. (AFAICT there are no other places in current
documentation that claim you can do that.)