Re: [compgeneral] I cant get the description or default valueof a field

From: "Campbell, Greg" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: Gurjeet Singh <gsingh(at)commvault(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [compgeneral] I cant get the description or default valueof a field
Date: 2006-06-13 14:06:04
Lists: pgsql-odbc

There is a technique at the ADO (VB) level. I do not know if the lower level ADO calls and the driver
support what your are trying to do.

Code Level:
====================================================================================================
Dim strConn as String
Dim conn As ADODB.Connection
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim fld As Field

strConn = _
"DRIVER={PostgreSQL};SERVER=my_sever_address;port=5432;DATABASE=my_database_name;UID=my_user_id;PWD=my_password;"

Set conn = New Connection
conn.Open strConn

Debug.Print "The connection is open"

'this will query for the schema for a table named employees
'see MSDN for specification on parameters and the array
'return a recordset contain information about the schema
'there is a record for each schema item , in this case 1 per field
Set rs = conn.OpenSchema(adSchemaColumns, Array("", "", "employees"))

If Not rs.EOF Then
Debug.Print "There are records"
Do While Not rs.EOF
'each field is a different schema descriptor for the current employee field
For Each fld In rs.Fields
'just comment out the If and End If so see all available schema descriptor field
If (fld.Name = "COLUMN_NAME") Or _
(fld.Name = "COLUMN_DEFAULT") Or _
(fld.Name = "FIELD_TYPE") Or _
(fld.Name = "DESCRIPTION") Then

Debug.Print fld.Name & ":" & vbTab & fld.Value

End If
Next
rs.MoveNext 'each record is a field in employee
Debug.Print "-----------------------------"
Loop
Else
Debug.Print "No records found"
End If

rs.Close

Set rs = Nothing

conn.Close

Set conn = Nothing
This code should provide the schema information, particularly the column name, default, field_type ( a
number which must be interpreted using the ADO DataType Enum see MSDN or use Object Browser),
and the Description.

In practice the driver I am using did not return the COLUMN_DEFAULT value, and I do not have many tables
with a description attached to the field. I am rather ruthless about using obvious column names. If you
want to dig into what gets returned into the schema, you can of course turn on ODBC tracing, and the
Postgresql Driver setting for MyLog. You may uncover an ODBC driver feature that has a bug or is not
supported in the existing drivers.